Friday, July 24, 2009

Mom's Chicken Nuggets

My kids like chicken nuggets. However, the ones from fast food are either expensive or just not very good. The ones you buy in store are usually somewhat dry. So, I experimented with various spice combinations and came up with something that everyone loves.

My recipes are fairly free flowing and don't always have precise measurements, and are often "to taste." That's because everyone has different ideas of what's good or not. So take what I give as guidelines, and adjust to fit your families' needs and likes.

Mom's Chicken Nuggets
1 1/2 pounds of chicken breasts
2 eggs
3/4 cup flour
2 tsp kosher salt
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
2 tsp paprika
oil for frying

1. Cut the chicken breasts into 1/2" cubes.
2. Start heating the oil. It should be hot enough to fry stuff. I'm told is that is around 350 or 375. I try the first piece of whatever it is I'm frying. If it sizzles, it's hot enough.
3. Beat eggs, with a splash of milk if desired.
4. Mix the flour, salt and seasonings together, and put in a plate.
5. Dip the chicken in the egg mix, then roll them in the flour.
6. Fry up the chicken in batches, draining on paper towels or your favorite method.
7. Serve with oven baked fries and whatever dipping sauces your family likes.

My notes: I generally salt my nuggets as each batch comes out of the fryer. Yes, this meal isn't exactly low fat, but we don't have it very often.

Variations: I vary the seasonings according to what I have. Packages of Mexican seasoning (taco, fajita, etc), Ranch dressing mix, sauce mixes (like hollandaise) all make great nuggets.

No comments:

Post a Comment