Chicken Pot Pie is one of the ultimate comfort foods. We can switch it up to accommodate what happens to be available at the time. So, here's a good starting place for you guys.
This does my family one dinner and one lunch easily. If we are careful (read, Jim doesn't decide that it's WAAAY too good), it can do 2 dinners.
Chicken Pot Pie
1 can cream of chicken soup (or mushroom, or chicken and mushroom)
8 oz frozen carrots
8 oz frozen green beans
8 oz frozen corn kernels
Salt, lemon pepper, Italian seasoning, pepper, (ok whatever you want...helpful, aren't I?)
1 pie crust
Optional: 1 large onion, diced and saute'ed, 1 or 2 potatoes, diced small (1/4")
1. In a large pot, cover the chicken with water, and boil for several hours. If it falls apart when you try to pull it out of the water, that's about right. When it's fall off the bone tender, pull the chicken out, and let it cool. Pick the carcass clean. You want the meat for the pie, not the skin and bones.
2. In a LARGE bowl, mix the chicken, soup, seasonings, and the veggies. Tasty tasty to make sure it's all nummy.
3. Put the filling into a lasagna sized pan. I use the foil pans, myself.
4. Roll out the pie crust to fit the pan. I have a great cutting board that is JUST the right size. Put pie crust over the filling, and cut steam vents in the top.
5. Bake for about 1 hour at 300, or about 30 minutes at 350. (Temp check = 180ish)
6. Eat and enjoy.